Thursday, January 25, 2007

0 - 13,792

My last day on the big island in hawaii I was asked what I wanted to do. There are so many things to do in that place that it could be hard to figure what the last memory was that i wanted to create. But it didn't take long to decide on Mauna Kea. The highest point in hawaii. so far away and in the middle of the ocean that NASA scientists use it to look at stars. If it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for me. The sun goes down around 6pm. We left in the afternoon driving from Kona. We stopped in Waimea at a grocery store figuring we would need supplies. I am still paranoid about that couple form SF that got stranded in the snow recently. and now convinced that on long drives, one should pack food for, maybe five days, just to be safe. My traveling companion had a brilliant idea to buy some cheese and bread and salami. It seemed like perfect food for a mountaintop picnic.

The day was gorgeous and the drive up the mountain was amazing, except for the fact that the state of hawaii (at least the big island) is notorious for not taking very good care of their roads. Saddleback road winds up and behind mauna kea and it is very bumpy.

The visitor station near the top is located at around 9200 feet. When we reached this point a very kind gentlemen met us at the drive way. he leaned over at the window and welcomed us. It was like a greeting you'd expect at church. he was very helpful and explained what they do at the visitor station, how when the sun goes down they take out all the telescopes and have volunteers help point out the stars. Up until sundown they show videos inside about what they do at the very top. we asked about driving to the top, and although he did not say we weren't allowed, he did caution us not to. The road to the top is unpaved and climbs over 4,000 feet in only eight miles. So coming down "even in 2nd gear" he warned, you may have to use your brakes quite a bit, which causes them to overheat and "well, we've had a few wrecks."

My companion i think is generally more daring than I. Just a few days prior I had to talk her out of jumping off a cliff with serging waves poinding against a rock wall. but a mountain, sure, I wasn't going to say anything. I also wanted to see what it's like near 14,000 feet. That's almost as tall as mount rainier, which i doubt I will ever see the top of in my lifetime. So after taking his advise of staying at the visitor center for a few minutes to get our bodies accilmated to the altitude (which definately made us a bit light headed) we decided to ascend to the top so we could make it down before dark.

the road, like ai said is unpaved and pretty steep. so steep that you have to keep it in a steady first or second gear and if you stop, you could run the risk of not having enough traction to keep going. so slowly we climbed.

we reached the top and it was, as we were told, quite cloudy. the sun set was just a bright mist behind the clouds and it was very cold. When we turned off the car, it wasn't make such a good noise and there was steam coming up form the engine. I immediately popped the hoop and inspected. the coolent was boiling and near gone.

not more than five minutes after opening the hood a truck pulled along side with a 'park ranger' logo on the side.

"You guys need help." he said. his tone was nice, and legitamately meaningful, however there was a slight fatherly undertone that was more like, "so, we told you you shouldn't have driven to the top, but you did, and I've seen this a few times before." He agreed that boiling coolent wasn't a good sign. "yeah, i know, but what should I do?" I asked. I have some water here, should I pour some in?"

"well, at this point I'm not sure that would do much good. Where you folks from?" we told him Kona. "Do you know how much it cost to tow a car from here, from right here on top of this mountain to Kona?" Before we could respond he knew his line, he's used it before. "$1,000."

I could tell this injected panic into my normally easy going companion. but i didn't buy it. we'd be fine, i was sure of it. She wasn't so sure.

"that's the thing about this mountain." he continued. 'If your car has a weakness, this mountain will find it."
_________

I live at a house called Rosewood Manor. A place where ten people choose to live under the same roof and share each other's lives in order to, somehow, know God better. A lot of people think it's crazy. I partly agree. I think when conceptualized, the forefathers of this place perhaps had a much different picture than what Rosewood has actually been.

When i moved in, I thought my life was perfect. I had no stress, i was in a good relationship, good friendships. Rosewood was just icing on the cake. To be able to live in a big beautiful 100 year old mansion. to be able to have large yard for my pup, build fires in the winter, have bbq's out back. everything seemed like it was going to be great. sure, I knew that there'd be some rough spots, but the pay off at the top would be worth it.

shortly after i moved in i was in I was in a place where i really wanted to know God better. i wanted him to show me what was standing in my way, what I was putting in front of him. I thought the answer might be simple, maybe i need to give up certain entertainment or be more reserved on some lifestyle choices. but what happened to me, as what I notice from many residents that have lived at rosewood is that God is faithful, and yes, he answers prayers. And so when we come to him and ask him to show us our true selves in his eyes, he responds. Shorltly after praying this prayer, God responded and stripped from me the very thing i didn't want him to, my relationship with a women that i was so focused on marrying, and he continues to do so.

We have talked a lot about the true meaning of rosewood and what we all plan on learning from living here. what I've learned is, if we really want to take the risk and drive to the top of this mountain, and know God more intimately. . . , that's the thing about God, if we have a weakness, He will find it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work Kris, you are connecting the dots very clearly with this, thanks.-Josh