Friday, January 27, 2006

so far, not so good . . .

so we're approaching the end of january and so far this whole thing about writing more isn't working too well.. I'm consoling myself with the fact that maybe I didn't tell very many people and therefore not too many people will be regularly checking this thing to call me out on it. . . however, if you're reading this you're probably proving me wrong, so go ahead and call me out on it. . .

so a few things have been on my mind, and a few more things have been exciting. I don't know how much i want to go into it right now, but I wanted to write something, so here goes.

Issue #1: Oprah vs James Frey
I am totally and wholly fascinated by this story, on many levels. There's the initial levels and thoughts using my experience with Artists that as an artist he has a certain liscense to change embellish things to make for a good story, he sure as hell is not the first to do so. And yet Oprah and her audience are shocked and taking such a holier-than-thou perspective on the fact that, yes, this guy maybe made some stuff up to get each of their $15. The bottom line remains though is that he wrote a good story, he must be a good author (i have not yet read the book but brooke kept telling me I needed to before all this scandel came to light). And then there is the questioin of the publisher not checking facts . . . c'mon, this guy wrote a story, why shouldn't they believe it. Oprah seemed to want to demonize everybody else so as to limit the embarassment herself.

I was telling my friend josh about this story and about Oprah ripping him apart on the air and he mentioned how when we put idols up and they fall, afterwards we tear them apart. interesting . . . but I can't seem to not slightly smile when Oprah says she's been 'duped,' and so were all her followers . . . all of those followers . . . duped.

Issue #2: Ken Hutchenson.

Here is a guy that, growing up on the eastside I respected quite a bit. He seemed to do things his own way which in my anit-establishment state I always appreciated. But now we've lost another good soldier to the establishment of James Dobson and right wing christian (with a lower case 'c') fanaticism. I will limit my rant to two points: 1) Ken is being prideful, he is relishing in the power that the media has given him which is a far worse sin than being gay. 2) You cannot legislate morality. It's that simple.

Issue #3: artist collective

I'm really excited about movements ina direction in this town to bring people together and encourage each other on issues of faith and art. there will be more on this later, but I've been thinking a lot about it and getting pretty excited, i think it'll be something significant.

that's all, i'm not dead, just thinking . . . a LOT!

Kristoffer

1 comment:

becki said...

man! I keep forgetting to add your site as a link on mine! I'm doing it RIGHT NOW!